The opening of the newly launched NEXT program at Marché du Film in Cannes was held by the Executive Director of the fair Jérôme Paillard. His introducing words were the beginning of an interesting discussion between the moderator Michael Gibbons (Sampomedia), Philip Knatchbull (Curzon Cinema World) and Eamonn Bowles (Magnolia Pictures & Magnet Releases) (from left to right).
The basic topic was New business models in a changed international market.
Some of the conclusions of new chances in film industry were:
- filmmakers still have to produce the best movies they can, the quality is still the highest criterion
- producers role in Europe changed, they have to take responsibility and connect with their audience
- people will always leave home to watch movies, but it will be the choice between exlusiveness or big screen
- the creation of brands (movie curation) helps establishing quality
- VoD can be a great chance for marketing and distribution
- distribution and marketing strategies still depend on the movie